June 28, 2011
Amanda, Healthy Living Manager
Getting out, camping, hiking, fishing, swimming, running – yep, sounds like summer to me! Also, sounds like needing quick snacks and needing nutrition to fuel you. Like the ones packed with a ton of chemicals and refined sugar right? NO!!!!
Larabars, made out of (believe it or not) 100% real, delicious food! There are a variety of flavors; Apple Pie, Cashew Cookie, Cherry Pie, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, just to name a few. Every delicious bar is made from very few ingredients. For example, the Cherry Pie Larabar ingredients are: Dates, Almonds, Unsweetened Cherries. Wait? Period? Just 3 ingredients? Yep! You read it right! That is right off the package! Okay, okay, let’s do it again . . . let’s go with the Lemon flavor: Dates, Cashews, Almonds, Lemon Juice Concentrate. These bars are REAL flavor, REAL ingredients and not loaded with sugars or preservatives! So with such little deliciousness going into these bars you get no soy, no dairy, no gluten, and they are kosher and vegan (with the exception of the chocolate chip flavors.) Though the vast majority of chocolate chips in the world are made with dairy, soy or both, Larabars specifically asked their supplier to provide them with chocolate chips which are vegan and contain no dairy. While no dairy or soy is used to make their chocolate chips, they are made on a line which also produces chocolate chips made with dairy and soy. Due to possible cross-contact between types of chocolate chips made at the facility, the chips they use may contain trace amounts of dairy or soy from those other chips, thus they cannot claim these chocolate chip flavors are dairy free, soy free or vegan.
- They are between 190-230 calories per bar (dependent on flavor), 9-14 grams of fat (from nuts), 23-24 grams total carbs, 4-6 grams of fiber (all from natural fruits and nuts), 4-6 grams of protein.
- Each flavor has no more than 9 ingredients. They are pure, simple & delicious!!
- One thing though, if you are trying to cut back on or out sugar, I would not suggest these as they still have natural sugars in them from the fruits. Start with one flavor that sounds too good to be true, then venture out and try them all!
- Now would be the perfect time to try them and stock up, they are on sale at your local Harmons this week!
- I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!