Great Health Tip of the Day: Intuitive Eating: Listen to your body!
Our body is designed to help us maintain a healthy weight through the feelings of hunger, thirst, and fullness. However, in today’s world it is easy to ignore those signals. We eat when we are bored, sad, stressed, or happy. We forget what hunger feels like. We ignore feelings of fullness. We confuse the feeling of thirst with the feeling of hunger. We try fad diets. This week, get in tune with what your body is telling you by eating when you’re hungry and stopping when you are full. Here are some tips:
- Before you eat, ask yourself, “Am I really hungry?”
- Eat when you are hungry! Don’t ignore hunger pangs.
- Avoid handling your emotions with food.
- Make sure you drink plenty of water so you aren’t confusing your thirst with hunger.
- Eat without distractions—don’t watch TV, read, or drive. Focus on your food.
- Eat slowly and enjoy your food.
- Sit at a table to eat.
- Wait 10-15 minutes before a second helping. Then, if you are still hungry, go for it.
- If you want to eat dessert, start with a small portion and stop when your enjoyment of it diminishes. 1 or 2 bites might satisfy you!