America Recycles Day – November 15th
Thursday, November 15th is America Recycles Day. Started in 1997, America Recycles Day is the only nationally recognized day in the USA dedicated to encouraging Americans to recycle and to buy recycled products. On this day there are thousands of events held across the U.S. to raise awareness about the importance of recycling and to encourage Americans to sign personal pledges to recycle and buy products made from recycled materials.
Harmons will also be celebrating this day by hosting shredding events, using only paper and reusable bags, giving out some reusable bags, and having fun with recycled uniforms.
Shredding Events on Thursday, November 15th:
Rocky Mountain Document Destruction will provide Free Shredding of Confidential Documents and Hard Drives
Harmons Taylorsville – 5454 S. Redwood Rd
9:00 AM-12:00 PM
Harmons Draper – 672 E. 11400 S.
2:00 PM-5 PM
Bring your confidential documents and hard drives to be shredded on site. All shredded material will be recycled. Open to all businesses and residents, no limit to the amount of material you can bring. Visit rmshred.com/why-shred/knowledge-center/ for information on why it is important to shred sensitive documents.
FREE Reusable Bags
For those signed up to receive text alerts from Harmons, you will receive a special offer on America Recycles Day. Just show the text on your phone to your cashier and receive a free Harmons reusable bag. (Valid November 15th ONLY, with any purchase. Must show the text message on your phone to the cashier.) To receive this offer and other deals, text HARMONSDEALS to 45995.
Throughout the day we will be randomly giving away reusable bags in all of the stores. We will be using all paper and reusable bags on this day.
Reused and Recycled Uniforms
On America Recycles Day our front end associates will be practicing the second of the 3 R’s, Reuse. They will be reusing and recycling their own Harmons t-shirts to wear as their uniform for the day. They will be wearing t-shirts from a variety of past Harmons events, sponsored activities, and special days. A lot of the shirts have fun stories behind them, so be sure to ask what their t-shirt is about.
Over the past several years we have been working hard to improve recycling and diversion efforts throughout the company. The process is ongoing and continually having to adapt to be effective and successful. While we continue to learn and improve, there are a few things we have been working on that we are proud of:
- 6.4 million total pounds of recyclables and green waste have been diverted from landfills between January – August 2012.
- All Harmons locations (stores, support offices, distribution and design centers) have commingled recycling programs for cardboard, plastic, aluminum, and paper. More than 4 million pounds of just recyclables have been diverted from landfills in the first 8 months of this year.
- 13 locations have green waste diversion programs. Those stores and facilities have diverted 2.4 millions pounds from landfills from January to August.
- In 2011, more than 1.8 million pounds of food was donated to the Utah Food Bank through Harmons Fresh Rescue Program* and customers donations.
- A few years ago we installed dishwashers and provided dishes in our breakrooms to decrease the amount of plastic,paper, and Styrofoam products used by associates on breaks and lunches.
- We conduct audits of our trash (yes, we literally dig through trash) to see how to improve and we give stores and departments grades based on how they are doing.
- Currently 2 stores, City Creek and Emigration Market, use only paper and reusable bags – no plastic.