Recipe: Corn Beef Potato Panini
March 18, 2014
To watch Chef Johnny prepare this on Fox 13, click HERE!
Corn Beef Potato Panini
Perfect for St. Patrick's Day Leftovers!
Corn Beef Potato Panini Ingredients
- 4 to 5 lbs. corned beef (cooked and shredded)
- 3 bottles Killians Irish Red
- Olive oil
- 10 red potatoes (pre-boiled, sliced thin)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- ½ head of cabbage (shredded)
- 1 loaf bread sliced for sandwich
- 1 C. Skellig cheddar cheese (shredded)
Murphy’s Mayo Ingredients
- 1 can Murphy’s Beer
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 1tsp. caraway seed
- 1 C. mayo
- Pre-heat the oven to 280. In a large sauté pan over med-high heat, add the spice package from the corned beef. Toast the spice for 2 minutes then add the corn beef fat side down. Sear the corn beef for 4 to 5 minutes or until a dark brown color; turn the roast over and sear until dark brown. Pour one Irish Red into the pan to deglaze. Place the corned beef into a roasting pan and pour the liquid from the sauté pan over the corned beef and cover with foil. Place into the oven at 280 and roast for at least 4 to 6 hours.
- In a small saucepan add water and bring to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook for 6 to 8 minutes. The potatoes will not be fully cooked. Allow the potatoes to cool for about 10 minutes, and then slice thin. Pre-heat a sauté pan over high heat with 1 tsp. oil. Place the sliced potatoes into the pan 1 at a time, lining the pan with a single layer. Sprinkle with some of the cheese then repeat the process 2 more times. Cover with a lid and cook the potato cake for 6 to 8 minutes. The cheese will melt holding everything together. The potato cake will look dark in color when removed from the pan.
- In a small saucepan, add all the dry spices and toast over medium heat. Pour in can of Murphy’s and sugar. Bring the beer to a boil (this will remove all of the alcohol) turn the heat to a low simmer. Allow the sauce to reduce to syrup. This will take 45 minutes to an hour. Allow the sauce to cool, and add to the mayo.
- Remove the corned beef from the oven and shred. Smear the bread with mayo. Cut the potato cake in half and place on the bread. Add the shredded cabbage and corned beef. Place on a pre-heated Panini press and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
Harmonsgrocery.com Blog http://www.harmonsgrocery.com/blog/