Halloween is just a few weeks away, which means we’re officially in pumpkin carving season! With the excitement of carving faces and creatures into your pumpkin, saving those pumpkin seeds and scraps might not be at the front of your mind. Big mistake!
A half cup of pumpkin contains over 200% of your daily value of vitamin A, contributing to eye health, immune health, and cancer prevention. Here’s a few ideas for how to enjoy pumpkin this season:
- Roast them. Toss cubed pumpkin in oil and salt and roast them in the oven. Try roasting them with cubed sweet potatoes and mash together for a healthy side.
- Add to a curry or stew. As the weather cools down, we tend to turn towards soups, stews and curries to warm us back up. Check out this one pot pumpkin curry for an easy recipe with minimal cleanup. To make it healthier, try replacing half of the canned coconut milk with Silk coconut milk or vegetable broth.
Pumpkin seeds are another nutrition powerhouse, providing a healthy dose of protein, fiber, and healthy fats. Rinse, dry, and bake them in the oven for a healthy snack this fall. Try some of the flavor combinations below:
- Like spicy? Grab your favorite Cajun seasoning, or make your own by combining paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, oregano, parsley, and black and white pepper.
- Looking for a sweeter snack? Add brown sugar, cinnamon and ginger.
- For an exotic flavor, check out this curried pumpkin seeds recipe from Bon Appetit.