*This tip was contributed by BYU Dietetic Intern Sharee Osborn.
As temperatures rise in Utah, so does the importance of staying hydrated. Our bodies need water for many reasons, including to help maintain our body temperatures. When we are out in hot weather, our bodies sweat to keep us cool causing us to lose water and important electrolytes. It’s important to replenish these losses, so our bodies can keep going strong, and we can enjoy the warm weather!
Tips to Stay Hydrated This Summer
- Carry a water bottle with you, especially when you are outside
- Try drinking water throughout the day instead of just when you are thirsty
- Try infusing your water with fruit for a sweet and refreshing drink
- If you have been sweating a lot, drink an electrolyte beverage to replenish your electrolyte levels. Propel is a great sugar-free electrolyte option. Check it out at Harmons eShop: https://shop.harmonsgrocery.com/search?search_term=propel
- Avoid drinking sweetened, caffeinated, and alcoholic beverages as a form of hydration
FRUIT INFUSION IDEAS
Fruit infusion is a simple and healthy way to add a splash of flavor to your water! Just add fruit to your water and store in the fridge for about 12 hours. Try some of these fruit combinations or create your own!
- Strawberry, Lemon, and Mint
- Strawberry and Watermelon
- Orange and Lime
- Lemon and Ginger
- Cranberry and Orange
- Strawberry, Cucumber, and Mint