The benefits of a plant-based diet are many. That’s why here at Harmons, we’re dedicating a whole week to promoting the variety of plant-based options on our shelves.
Everyone gets into a food rut on occasion, whether you’re new to the lifestyle or are a plant-based professional. That’s where building flavor comes in. Well-seasoned food turns simple ingredients into drool–worthy meals.
The secret is to get all five tastes into your dish:
- Sweet—Use a natural source like carrots, sweet potatoes, onions, unsweetened dried fruit, or red lentils
- Sour—Use vinegar, lemon juice, lime juice, mustard, or fermented foods like pickles, sauerkraut, and kimchi
- Salty—Use salt, olives, soy sauce, celery, hummus, or savory herbs such as rosemary, thyme, and oregano
- Bitter—Plant-based cooking is naturally bitter due to high use of veggies and beans which have bitter, earthy notes
- Umami—Use mushrooms, tomatoes, miso paste, nutritional yeast, tamari, or liquid amino acids. Also, simply cooking food increases umami
Adding fresh or dried herbs will also boost flavor. Here are some recipe examples to get you started!
Several items are on sale to celebrate plant-based week! Try something new:
Bubbies Sauerkraut—Zesty fermented cabbage for sandwiches, toast, or noodles
Bitchin’ Sauce—Flavor packed, almond–based dips that double as a sandwich spread
Harmons Hummus—A savory, chickpea-based addictive dip that also doubles as sandwich spread
Right Rice—A bean and veggie-based rice substitute
Harmons Farro Patty—A flavorful burger substitute that can be crumbled to make tacos or fajitas