If you visit our store at the right time, you can hear the whirring of the immersion blender creating our silky-smooth creamy dips made fresh in store. We use wholesome ingredients to create products with quality you can taste. Whether you bring these dips to a party, share them with family, or keep them all to yourself, they will add fantastic homemade flavor to whatever is paired with them.
Our produce sous chefs work hard to produce these tasty dips…but are they good for us? Are there actually dietitian approved dips? Absolutely. Contrary to popular belief, dips can be a part of a healthy diet. They can introduce a greater variety of food groups into a meal or snack and be a means of eating more produce. However, if you’re a “ranch with a side of carrots” person it may be time to rethink your portion sizes. On most dip labels, the serving size is listed as 2 tablespoons. It’s not that dips magically become unhealthy past 2 tablespoons, but portions of dips can add up quickly with mindless snacking. If we’re reasonable and moderate with our portions, dips can be dietitian approved.
Let’s take a closer look at a few of our made fresh in store dips, and why they get the dietitians’ stamp of approval: tt
Harmons’ offering of hummus goes above and beyond. Alongside our traditional variety, we offer 8 other unique flavors in a variety of vivid colors. Hummus is a winning combination of fiber and protein from chickpeas and healthy fats from sesame seeds in tahini form. See our Hummus and Health blog for detailed nutrient benefits and pairing ideas for each. Here are a few of our favorite uses:
- Spread onto toast
- A dip for fresh vegetables and whole wheat pita chips
- Top with feta, olive oil, tomatoes, and other vegetables in an oven safe dish and bake until slightly golden on top
There are plenty of guacamole recipes to be found on the internet. However, few are as consistent and calculated as our Harmons recipe. Both our traditional and mild varieties have a creaminess and kick that is impossible to resist. Here are a few ideas to incorporate our tried-and-true guac:
- Spread on sandwiches instead of mayo
- Serve with burritos, tacos, quesadillas, or enchiladas
- Spread on toast and top with a fried egg
- Use as a dip for fresh cut vegetables
- Slice mini bell peppers in half and fill with guacamole
Unlike the canned goods on the shelf, our fresh salsa doesn’t use any preservatives other than lime juice that adds acidity. This dip doesn’t need to be paired with produce…because it is made up of produce itself! We make three levels of spice to fit your taste: mild with jalapenos, spicy with serranos, and hot with habaneros. If you’re looking for sweet and spicy, try our fresh pineapple salsa.
- Mix with steamed shrimp and tortilla chips for a complete meal
- Spoon over fresh baked chicken breasts
- Use as a topping for burrito bowls or taco salads
Country Ranch Veggie Dip
- If making your own veggie tray, try including as many colors of vegetables you can
- Spread a thin layer onto a whole wheat tortilla and fill with beans and veggies for a fresh wrap
Vanilla Cream Cheese Fruit Dip
Buy it already nestled into a fruit tray, or get a container a la carte and round up your own favorite fruits. This dip is Greek yogurt-based, which means it adds some protein and probiotics good for gut health to the naturally occurring sugar you’re getting from fruit.
- Grate some fresh ginger and lime juice into dip, thin with water, then drizzle dip over seasonal fruit slices and mint leaves
- Spread onto a crepe with fruit slices
- Put on top of a whole grain waffle with berries instead of syrup
We hope you’ve enjoyed our recap of our healthy Harmons dips and delicious ideas to go with them. Harmons is committed to supplying quality, made fresh in store items to feed your family and please your tastebuds. For more individualized assistance on healthy ideas, contact our dietitians at email@example.com.