- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb mild pork sausage
- 4 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, small diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Gala or Fuji apple, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 8 cups assorted day-old bread cubes
- 1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese, divided
Preheat oven to 350°.
In a frying pan over medium-high heat, warm oil. Add sausage and cook until browned, 5-7 minutes. Add celery, onion, garlic, apple, sage, thyme, oregano, fennel seeds, and salt and cook until onion and celery have just softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
In a small bowl, whisk together broth, cream and eggs.
In a large bowl combine bread cubes with sausage mixture and 1/2 cup cheese. Pour broth-cream mixture over bread and stir to combine. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese, transfer to a 9- by 13-inch baking dish, and cook until golden brown, 35-40 minutes.