- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts, quartered lengthwise and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 2 cups Arborio or Carnaroli rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, such as Vermentino
- 1 lemon, zested and half juiced
- About 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth, warmed
- 1/2 lb asparagus, ends trimmed and spears cut on the diagonal into 1" pieces
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons oil. Add leeks, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add rice and cook, stirring often, until toasted, about 4 minutes. Add wine and cook, stirring often, until wine is completely absorbed, about 1 minute. Add lemon zest and juice, 3 cups broth, and 1 teaspoon salt and stir to combine.
Cook rice, stirring often, until broth is nearly evaporated and rice begins to stick on bottom of pan. Add 1 cup broth and continue to cook until broth is nearly evaporated. About 10 minutes before rice is cooked, add asparagus stir to combine and continue to cook. Add broth, ½ cup at a time, until rice is al dente. Add cheese and season with salt and pepper.