- 12 slices bacon
- 12 large jalapeno chiles
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/2 tsp chili powder, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1-2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 oz shredded Beehive Hatch chile cheddar cheese
- 2 oz cotija cheese, crumbled
- Crema Mexicana, for garnish, optional
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place a cooling rack on baking sheet.
In a frying pan over medium-high heat, add bacon slices and 1 cup water. Cook bacon until water has evaporated and fat has partially rendered, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
Using disposable gloves, cut off tops of jalapeños and remove seeds and ribs using a jalapeño corer, apple corer, or small paring knife. Reserve tops.
Discard all but 1 tablespoon oil from frying pan and heat over medium-high. Add corn kernels and cook, 5-7 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, and salt and continue to cook until spices have toasted and become fragrant, about 30 seconds. In a bowl, toss corn with green onion and cilantro. Add cream and cheddar cheeses to corn mixture. Stuff each jalapeno with corn-cheese filling. Top it a jalapeno top and wrap jalapeno completely with a bacon strip. Use toothpicks to keep top and bacon on jalapeno.
Place filled jalapenos on prepared rack and baking sheet. Bake until bacon is cooked through and browned, 35-40 minutes. Place jalapeños on a platter and sprinkle with cotija cheese and drizzle with crema Mexicana, if using.