- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 1/4 cups mashed overripe bananas
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 8 Tbsp dark rum, divided
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 ripe banana, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup firmly packed golden brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking oil.
To make the muffins, in a bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. In another bowl, combine bananas, brown sugar, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, butter, milk, 2 tablespoons rum, and egg. Mix into dry ingredients. Fill greased muffin pans 1/2 full.
To make the filling, in a bowl, combine banana, brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Spoon teaspoons of filling into center of each muffin. Fill muffin tins with remaining muffin batter. Bake until muffins are golden brown, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, 1/4 cinnamon and 6 tablespoons rum. Brush glaze onto muffins while still warm in pan. Cool muffins on a rack.