- 1 lb ground bison
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion roughly chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper diced
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper seeded and finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 15 oz can unsalted diced tomatoes
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 12 oz can dark beer stout or porter preferred
- 2 15 oz cans Westbrae chili beans
- 1 7 oz can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp ground cumin
Brown the ground bison in a stockpot over medium-high heat. Once cooked, remove the bison into a strainer and place onto a bowl, allowing the fat to drip off.
Add the extra-virgin olive oil to the stockpot. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and peppers and cook until they begin to soften. Add the garlic and cook for another two minutes or until fragrant, stirring frequently with a spatula.
Add the bison back into the stockpot, along with the diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, beans, beer, water, smoked paprika, salt, cumin, chili powder, and Worcestershire sauce. Open the can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and discard the chipotle peppers, adding the remaining adobo sauce to the stockpot.
Bring the chili to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook uncovered for one hour, stirring frequently.
Nutrition per serving: 360 calories; 7g total fat (2.5g saturated); 760 mg sodium; 46g carbohydrates; 12g dietary fiber; 10g sugar (0g added); 28g protein