- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 lb lean beef brisket
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 cups canned tomato puree
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (12 oz) bottle light beer
- 5 tomatillos, husks removed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 jalapenos, stemmed, halved, and seeded
- 1 small yellow onion, quartered
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, plus more, finely chopped, for serving
- 1 head romaine lettuce, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, and cut lengthwise into 12 wedges
- Finely chopped red onion, for garnish
- Cotija cheese, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- 8 Harmons Taco Bowls
Preheat oven to 325°.
To make the brisket, in a large, heavy Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add oil. Season brisket with salt and pepper, then add to pan, and cook, turning as needed, until browned all over, about 12 minutes. Transfer brisket to a plate and return pan to medium heat.
Add carrot, celery, onion, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add tomato puree, cumin, oregano, thyme, and bay leaf and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Stir in beer, then return brisket to pot and pour enough water into pot to cover meat and bring it to a boil over high heat. Cover with a lid and cook until brisket is very tender, about 2 1/2 hours. Transfer pan to a rack, uncover, and let brisket cool in cooking liquid.
Once cooled, remove brisket from liquid and shred with 2 forks. Pour braising liquid into a blender and puree until smooth. Return liquid to pot over medium heat, stir in shredded brisket, and reheat until warmed through.
Meanwhile, to make the salsa, fill a saucepan over high heat halfway with water. Season with salt and add tomatillos, garlic, jalapeños, and onion and bring to a boil. Let cook 5 minutes, drain and transfer vegetables to a blender. Add cilantro and puree until smooth. Season with salt.
Serve in taco bowls with lettuce, brisket, salsa, avocado, cilantro, red onions, cojita cheese, and lime wedges.