- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 lb beef chuck, cut into 2" cubes
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2" piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into thirds, pounded, and minced
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup lower sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced, divided
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
In a small bowl, combine flour and liberally season with salt and pepper. Working in batches, dredge beef into flour mixture, shaking off any excess flour. Set aside.
In a medium frying pan over medium-high heat, add oil. When oil shimmers, add beef and cook until browned. Transfer to a slow cooker and repeat with the remaining beef.
Add garlic and ginger to frying pan and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add lemongrass and cook 30 more seconds. Add red pepper flakes and chicken broth and transfer mixture to slow cooker.
In a bowl, whisk together soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, and hot sauce. Add to slow cooker. Add 2 green onions.
Cover slow cooker. Cook for 4-5 hours on high heat, or 6-8 hours on low heat. Serve with rice or noodles and garnish with sesame seeds and remaining green onion.