- 1 lb Gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 lb vegetables, such as Belgian endive leaves, thinly sliced radishes, and blanched cauliflower florets
- 1/2 loaf crusty bread, cubed
In a bowl, toss cheese with cornstarch. Set aside.
In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add shallots and cook until caramelized, 6-8 minutes. Add wine to pan. When it comes to a simmer, whisk in cream, Dijon, and nutmeg. Lower heat to medium-low and add a third of cheese mixture. Cook, stirring, frequently, until cheese is melted. Repeat twice more to add remaining cheese mixture, stirring after each addition until all of cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper.
Transfer mixture to a fondue pot and keep warm. Serve with vegetables and bread cubes alongside for dipping into cheese with individual fondue forks.