- 8 oz sliced cremini mushrooms, divided
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/3 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus more for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 3 oz sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/3 cup Marsala wine
- 3/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 pkg butternut squash noodles, blanched
Preheat oven to 400°.
Finely chop half of cremini mushrooms and transfer to a medium bowl with ground chicken, breadcrumbs, cheese, egg, 1 clove of minced garlic, parsley, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Gently shape into 25 small meatballs, bake until golden, 15-18 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk flour with Marsala wine and broth. In a large frying pan over medium heat, add butter, garlic and shallots and cook until soft and golden, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, season with 1/8 teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes.
Return meatballs to pot, pour Marsala wine mixture over meatballs, cover and cook 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve with butternut squash noodles.