- 10 cups artisan country style bread, sliced, and cut into 1" cubes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 fresh chorizo sausages meat removed from casings
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (8 oz) can water chestnuts, rinsed, drained, and coarsely chopped
- 5 Tbsp butter
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
Preheat oven to 350°. Position oven racks in top and bottom thirds of oven and butter a nonstick 12-muffin tin.
Place bread on 2 rimmed baking sheets, put in oven and toast, stirring occasionally and rotating and switching sheets halfway through, until golden and dry, about 10 min. Transfer to a large bowl. Reduce heat to 325°.
In a large heavy pot over medium-high heat, add oil. Add chorizo and cook, breaking up meat into small pieces as it cooks, about 5 min. Reduce heat to medium and add onion, celery, garlic, water chestnuts, butter, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, uncovered, stirring, until onion is soft, about 5 min.
Add toasted bread, eggs and broth and stir to combine. Divide stuffing among muffin tin cups. They will be well-mounded. Bake until brown and crunchy on top and heated through, 30-40 min. Run a plastic knife around the edges of each muffin cup and then gently remove the portions of stuffing.
Repeat with remaining stuffing.