- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced into rings
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp whole grain or Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- 4 large eggs
- 10 oz thick-cut bacon (about 8 strips)
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 2 medium breasts)
- 1 head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces or coarsely chopped
- 6 oz small to medium tomatoes (about 6), sliced or quartered
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced or chopped
- 4 blue cheese, crumbled
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped chives
Cover shallots with vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Let sit for 5 minutes to lightly pickle shallots and infuse vinegar. Add mustard and 3 tablespoons olive oil and, using a fork, whisk to blend. Season with salt and more pepper, if needed.
Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Gently lower in 4 large eggs and boil for 8 minutes. Remove from heat and run cold water over to quickly chill. Once chilled, peel eggs and set aside.
Meanwhile, in a frying pan over medium heat, add bacon and cook until crispy on both sides, 8-10 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and let cool. Once cool, coarsely chop bacon and set aside.
Drain all but 2 tablespoons bacon grease from pan. Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook in same pan over medium-high heat until well browned on both sides and cooked through, 15-20 minutes. Transfer chicken to a large plate or cutting board.
Transfer any drippings from pan to bowl with vinaigrette and whisk to blend.
Once chicken is cool enough to handle, shred it into bite-sized pieces. Slice or chop the hard-boiled eggs.
Arrange lettuce in a large serving bowl or platter. Drizzle about half dressing over lettuce and toss to combine; season with salt and pepper.
Arrange chicken in center of bowl or platter in a straight line. Place tomatoes on one side and eggs on other. Place avocado next to eggs, and blue cheese next to tomatoes. Sprinkle bacon in center of bowl. Spoon remaining dressing over top and sprinkle with chives.