- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup pearl onions, thawed
- 1 1/2 lb chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 cups long grain white rice
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup peas, thawed if frozen
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add oil. Add onion, carrot, and celery and cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and pearl onions and cook until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add chicken, season with salt and pepper and cook until no longer pink, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until rice is coated with oil and smells nutty, about 1 minute. Add chicken broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer until rice is nearly tender, about 15 minutes.
Add peas, cream, and cheese, stir to combine, and cook for another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add parsley and stir to combine.