- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 6 cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 6 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and chopped
- 1/2 shallot, chopped
- 2 Tbsp dry sherry or marsala
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp coarse grain mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 Tbsp butter, cut into pieces
- 2 (6 oz) top sirloin or tenderloin steaks
Preheat oven to 400°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Place puff pastry on a work surface. Using a 3”-round biscuit cutter, make nine circles. Transfer to circles to baking sheet and place another baking sheet on top of puff pastry circles. Bake until circles begin to brown, about 8 minutes. Remove top baking sheet and continue to bake until puff pastry circles are golden brown, another 3 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
In a frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil. Add mushrooms and shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and all moisture has cooked out, about 5 minutes. Add sherry, soy sauce, thyme, mustard, and season with salt and pepper, and cook for 3 minutes until evaporated. Add butter pieces, a few pieces at a time, stirring to combine.
Meanwhile, in a grill pan over medium-high heat, warm remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Season steaks liberally with salt and pepper. Grill steaks until grill marks appear on first side, about 5 minutes. Turn over and grill until marks appear on second side until the steaks reach an internal temperature of 125° for medium-rare with an instant-read thermometer, about 3 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.