- 1 cup whole grains of choice
- 1 bu kale, stems removed, chopped, or greens of choice
- 2 cups seasonal veggies of choice, diced
- 1/2 cup salty or savory ingredient, such as Parmesan, feta, olives
- 1/2 cup nuts, such as almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, pecans, sunflower seeds
- 1/4-3/4 cup fruit, uch as apples or pears, 1" dice (optional)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
Cook your grain of choice according to package directions. Go for a slightly chewier texture. Place in a fine mesh strainer and rinse with cold water. Place in a large salad bowl to cool.
Meanwhile, combine olive oil, vinegar, Dijon mustard, and garlic in a glass jar with a lid. Shake vigorously until well blended. This dressing will keep in refrigerator for a up to 1 week.
Add kale, veggies, cheese or olives, nuts or seeds, and optional fruit to grains and toss to combine. Add dressing and season with salt and pepper.
Recipe written by U of U nutrition intern, Emily Barrett.
Recipe adapted from Run Fast. Cook Fast. Eat Slow.