- 1 prepared pie crust, top and bottom
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium potato, small dice
- 1 medium carrot, small dice
- 1/2 medium onion, small dice
- 1 stalk celery, small dice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 egg, for egg wash
Preheat oven to 375°. Prepare a 9″ pie pan with bottom crust and place in fridge.
In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt butter and add potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, and salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in flour until blended and fully incorporated. Slowly add stock and bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
Stir in meat, peas, cream, parsley, garlic and more salt and pepper.
Spoon into prepared pie pan. Roll out top crust to fit top of pie. Place over filling and trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in middle of pastry to vent.
Brush top of pie with egg mixture. Bake until golden, 40-45 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Note: you can bake pie or cover and freeze for up to 3 months. To use frozen potpie, remove from freezer 30 minutes before baking. Cover pie loosely with foil, place on a baking sheet and bake at 425° for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°, remove foil and bake for additional 55-60 minutes longer or until golden brown.