- 6 frozen puff pastry shells
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 4 sweet onions, finely sliced, divided
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- Fresh thyme sprigs, for garnish
Preheat oven to 425°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Bake frozen puff pastry shells until golden brown, according to package directions.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onions, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, 30-45 minutes. Reserve 1 cup onions.
Add broth and cream cheese and stir until cheese is melted. Fill shells halfway with cheesy onion mixture. Top with some of the reserved onions. Sprinkle with Gruyère cheese, increase oven to broil and melt cheese. Garnish with thyme and pastry shell top.