- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups lower sodium chicken broth, warmed
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Chopped green onions, for garnish
- Sliced black olives, for garnish
- Halved cherry tomatoes, for garnish
- Chow mein noodles, for garnish
In a saucepan over high heat, add water and bring to boil. Add rice, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until rice is tender and fluffy, about 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Meanwhile, in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add oil. Add chicken breasts, season with salt and pepper and cook until golden brown and meat registers 165° on a meat thermometer, about 20 minutes. Let cool and shred. Set aside.
In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir to combine. Whisk in broth and season with salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Stir over low heat until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and chicken.
Pour rice into bottom of an 8”x 8” baking dish. Place chicken mixture on top, sprinkle with cheese, and cover with aluminum foil. Bake until bubbly, about 20 minutes. Serve with garnishes.