- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 (4 lb) whole fryer chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 lb andouille sausage or spicy kielbasa, sliced 1/2" thick
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 poblano chile or jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 medium celery rib, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup corn kernels
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 lb cremini mushrooms stemmed and thickly sliced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups medium-grain rice such as Arborio
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Hot sauce, for serving
In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add oil. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Cook in batches until browned, about 6 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a platter and set aside.
Add sausage to casserole and cook until lightly browned on both sides, 3-4 minutes. Add sausage to platter with chicken. Increase heat to high and add onion, poblano, celery, and corn to casserole. Cook vegetables, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add paprika and oregano and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add rice and cook, stirring constantly, until well coated and just beginning to brown, about 2 minutes.
Nestle chicken and sausage in rice and gently stir in broth, incorporating ingredients on bottom of casserole. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and season with salt and pepper. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low and cook until broth is absorbed, rice is tender, and chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes. Spoon rice onto a platter, top with chicken pieces and vegetables and serve with hot sauce.