- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lb red potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup sour cream, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6-8 slices bacon, cooked until crisp, crumbled
- Snipped fresh chives
In a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add potatoes and chicken broth, blend until smooth. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
Transfer 1/3 of soup to blender, blend until smooth. Return to pot.
In a small bowl, combine sour cream and half and half, add to soup and stir to combine. Add cheese, season liberally with salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Garnish with sour cream, bacon, cheese, and chives.