- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups milk, or more, as needed
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
In a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, 1-2 minutes. Stir in potatoes and green onions.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes. Stir in cheese, sour cream, and salt and pepper. If soup is too thick, add more milk as needed until desired consistency is reached.
Serve immediately, garnished with green onion, cheese and bacon, if desired.