- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 ground paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2-1 tsp ground chile powder, to taste
- Olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb beef stew meat, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 red potato, sliced lengthwise into 4 or 6 pieces
- 1 zucchini, sliced lengthwise into 8 pieces
- 1 carrot, quartered
- 1 handful Fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
In a small bowl, combine spices. Add a few tablespoons water to make a slurry. Set aside.
In a tagine or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons oil. Add beef to pot, season with salt and pepper and in batches if needed, cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining beef. Add beef back to pot, placing it in center of pot.
Spread onion, garlic and tomato over beef, allowing to slightly spill over edges.
Preheat oven at 325°.
Place potato slices around meat, followed by zucchini slices and carrot. Stir spice mixture and pour over pile of vegetables and meat. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with parsley, cover, and cook until meat is tender, 1 ½ hours. Serve with flatbread, such as pita.