- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 3 large leeks, white parts only, cut into 1" dice (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 lb shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps sliced 1/4" thick
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 (2 lb) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2" dice
- 1 pkg puff pastry, thawed
- 1/2 lb fresh goat cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 375°.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons oil. Add leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a medium bowl.
Meanwhile, line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly oil parchment. In a large bowl, toss squash with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread squash on prepared baking sheet and bake until softened and starting to brown, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes. Add squash to leeks and mushrooms and stir to combine.
Line another rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. On a lightly floured work surface, gently roll out puff pastry to a 12″x16″ rectangle about 1/4″ thick. Cut pastry into 12 (4″) squares. Spoon 1 tablespoon of shiitake-squash mixture onto each square and crumble with goat cheese. Lightly brush edge of squares with beaten egg. Fold squares over to form triangles and crimp edges decoratively with a fork.
Arrange turnovers on prepared baking sheets about 1/2″ apart. Brush tops of turnovers with remaining beaten egg. Bake until pastry is golden brown, about 25 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.