- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped leek
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 4 cups bottled clam juice
- 3/4 cup peeled and chopped russet potatoes
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 8 oz canned clams, drained
- 1/2 cup 1/4" diced russet potatoes, boiled and drained
- 4 oz bacon, diced and cooked
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
In a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat, warm oil. Add celery, onion, leek, bell pepper and garlic. Cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
Add wine. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Boil until liquid is reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
Add clam juice, potatoes, thyme and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook until potatoes begin to fall apart, about 20 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Transfer to a blender and puree until chowder is smooth.
Transfer to a clean saucepan and add cream, clams, potatoes, bacon and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Heat over low until simmering and serve.