- 1/4 lb pancetta, chopped into small pieces
- 2 leeks, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard, plus more for serving
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded Napa cabbage
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
In a large frying pan over medium heat, add pancetta and cook until fat has rendered. Using a slotted spoon, transfer pancetta to a plate. Add leeks and celery and cook until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add pearl barley, mustard, and chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Add cabbage and pancetta and cook until cabbage is wilted and tender, about 12 minutes. Add red bell pepper and stir to combine. Serve wit hDijon mustard on the side and garnished with parsley.