- 2 lb skirt or sirloin tip steak trimmed and sliced with grain into 3" wide strips
- Olive oil
- 1 sweet onion cut into quarters
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 8 oz white button mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 (8") Italian sub rolls, split lengthwise
- 8 slices provolone cheese
Put steak pieces on a large plate or baking sheet and freeze until very firm, about 1 hour.
In a large frying pan or griddle over medium-high heat, add onion, bell pepper and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and cook vegetables until softened, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Using sharp knife, shave beef as thinly as possible against grain. Mound meat on cutting board and chop coarsely with knife 10-20 times.
In the same frying pan over high heat, add more oil. Add half of meat in even layer. Season with salt and pepper and cook without stirring until well browned on 1 side, 4-5 minutes. Stir and continue to cook until meat is no longer pink, 1-2 minutes. Transfer meat to a plate. Wipe out frying pan with a paper towel and repeat with more oil and remaining half of meat.
Meanwhile, heat oven to 400 degrees. Split rolls on baking sheet and toast until lightly browned, 5-10 minutes.
Return other half of meat to ½ of the frying pan over medium heat and warm meat, 1-2 minutes. Return vegetables to the pan over remaining ½ of frying pan and warm, 1-2 minutes.
Divide meat and vegetables evenly among toasted rolls. Shingle cheese on meat and serve.