- 1 lb dried cannellini beans, picked over
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 acorn squash, halved, seeded, and cut into chunks
- 1 (28 oz) can whole Roma tomatoes, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 stems fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 Tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb dinosaur kale, leaves torn into small pieces, stems finely minced
- 3 cups torn artisan sourdough bread, toasted
- 1 1/4 cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
In the container of a pressure cooker, add beans and cover with water by 3”. Cook on high pressure for 55 minutes. Let release naturally for 20 minutes. Then release vent.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, add oil. When oil shimmers, add onion. Season with salt and cook for 5 minutes, stirring every minute or so, until softened. Add carrots, celery, garlic, and cook for 5 more minutes, until starting to soften. Transfer vegetables to slow cooker. Add tomatoes, bouquet garni, 1 tablespoon salt, and red pepper flakes.
Uncover slow cooker, remove bouquet garni, and add kale, bread, and cheese. Stir soup well, season with more salt to taste, and serve with remaining ¼ cup cheese sprinkled on top.