- 6 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 stalk lemongrass, chopped into small pieces
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp chile flakes
- 4 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 1/4 cups raw peanuts
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chile flakes
- 7 leaves Savoy cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/2 red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 mango, cut into thin strips
- 1 papaya, cut into thin strips
- 1 red chile, seeded and finely sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (3-5 lb) (3-5 lb) whole chicken, skin removed
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for vegetables
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 1 tsp five-spice powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
To make dressing, in a small saucepan over high heat, add all ingredients except oil, and reduce until thick and syrupy, 5-10 minutes. Let cool. Strain into a bowl, add oil and stir to combine. Set aside.
To make slaw, in a frying pan over medium heat, add peanuts and roast, stirring occasionally, until nutty smelling. Add butter, sugar, salt, and chile flakes. Stir until sugar caramelizes, 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a sheet of parchment paper. Let cool, roughly chop.
In a large bowl, add cabbage and remaining salad ingredients, including nuts. Add dressing and toss together. Taste and add more salt, as needed.
Preheat oven to 400°.
To make chicken, in a small bowl, combine oil, sage, thyme, and season liberally with salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Rub chicken with herb oil.
Roast chicken for 30 minutes. Lower heat to 350° and continue to cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thigh not touching bone registers 165°, about 15 minutes more. Remove from oven and let rest about 10 minutes prior to cutting and serving.
Per 1 svg: cal.: 610; total fat: 138g (sat. fat: 6g); sodium: 370mg; total carb.: 43g; dietary fiber: 8g; sugar: 30g; protein: 30g