- 4 oz diced pancetta
- 2 leeks, white and pale green parts only, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups Harmons fresh diced Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups Harmons fresh diced red potatoes
- 3 (8 oz) bottles clam juice
- 1 lb salmon fillets, cut into 3/4" pieces
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill plus sprigs, for garnish
- 1/2 cup oyster water crackers, for garnish
In a heavy large pot over medium-high heat, add pancetta, leeks, celery, and thyme and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add potatoes and clam juice and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, partially cover, and simmer until potatoes are almost tender, about 10 minutes.
Add half and half and cream and cook just until heated through, about 5 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine butter and flour to make a paste. Add paste in spoonfuls to soup, stirring until dissolved and mixture reaches desired thickness. Add salmon and simmer until fish is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Add dill and season with salt and pepper. Ladle chowder into soup bowls or serving bowls and serve with oyster water crackers and dill sprigs for garnish.