- 3 hot Italian sausages, casings removed
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp Panko Japanese dried breadcrumbs
- 3 oz (about 1 cup) freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil
- 24 large (about 2" diameter) button or cremini mushrooms, stemmed
In a heavy, large frying pan over medium heat, add sausage and oregano. Cook, breaking into small pieces with the back of a fork, until browned, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a large bowl and cool. Add breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, cream cheese, parsley, egg yolk, hot sauce, season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper and brush with olive oil to coat. Fill each mushroom cap with a scant 1 tablespoon filling and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup parmesan cheese. Arrange mushrooms, filling side up, on prepared sheet pan.
Bake until mushrooms are tender and filling is browned, about 25 minutes.