- Kosher salt
- 1 head (1 1/4-1 1/2 lb) broccoli, cut into florets, stalk peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 12 oz fresh Italian sausage, casings removed
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 12 oz dried chickpea and lentil short pasta
- 3 Tbsp butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 oz (about 1 1/2 cups) parmesan, finely grated, plus more for serving
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil over high heat. Add broccoli and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer broccoli to a colander and let cool. Chop broccoli into small pieces and set aside. Repeat with the cauliflower.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons oil. When oil shimmers, add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add sausage and red pepper flakes and break up meat into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until it is browned and cooked through, 6–8 minutes.
Bring reserved pot of water to a boil and cook pasta until barely al dente, about 9 minutes (3 minutes less than the package instructions as it will cook more in the pan).
Meanwhile, ladle about 1/2 cup pasta cooking liquid from pot into pan with sausage and add broccoli and cauliflower and cook over low heat, stirring often, until pasta is cooked. Using a spider or slotted spoon, transfer pasta to pan. Add butter and stir until melted, then transfer pasta to a large bowl. Gradually add 1 1/2 oz parmesan, tossing constantly until you have a glossy, emulsified sauce.