- 6 cups vegetable broth or fish stock
- 1/2 tsp saffron
- Olive oil
- 1 lb large shrimp peeled and deveined, tails intact
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp pimenton
- 2 cups Bomba short-grain rice
- 6 oz roasted piquillo peppers, cut into 1/2" slices lengthwise
- 1/2 lb Spanish chorizo, cut into 1/2" slices
- 18 clams, scrubbed
- 18 mussels scrubbed, beards removed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add broth. Add saffron and bring just to a simmer. Reduce heat to low.
In a 12” paella pan over medium-high heat, add 3 tablespoons oil. Add shrimp, season with salt and pepper and cook until pink on one side, about 1 minute. Turn over, season with salt and pepper and cook until pink on other side, about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Add onion and bell pepper and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add tomato, pimento, and rice and stir to combine. Let cook, stirring occasionally, until rice is toasted, about 3 minutes. Add 5 cups broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, simmer, without stirring, about 15 minutes. Add piquillo peppers and chorizo, rotate pan 180° and continue to cook until broth is completely absorbed and rice is al dente, another 15 minutes. If rice is not yet cooked, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup broth and cook until al dente. In final 7 minutes of cooking, add shrimp, clams, and mussels to pan. Place a sheet of aluminum foil over pan, increase heat to medium and cook until shells open. Remove foil and sprinkle with parsley. Serve with lemon.