- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 cups diced celery
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 2 poblano (pasilla) chiles roasted, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh sage
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 Tbsp ground cayenne
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 1 loaf Harmons artisan sourdough bread, diced
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
Preheat oven to 375°.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onions, celery, carrots, and corn and cook until tender, about 6 minutes. Add chiles, sage, thyme, cayenne, and season with salt and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes. Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
In a bowl, add 2 eggs and parsley and mix to combine.
In a large bowl, add bread. Pour vegetable-broth mixture over bread. Add pumpkin seeds and toss to coat thoroughly. Cover with aluminum foil and bake about 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until golden brown, 30 more minutes.