- 3 lb flanken-style beef short ribs, cut in 1/2" slices
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 cup mirin
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp dark sesame oil
- 1/2-1 tsp cayenne or gochujang
- 1 tsp Chinese 5-spice powder
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated sweet onion
- 1/2 cup grated pear
- 1 Tbsp chopped green onion
Soak ribs in cold water for 20 minutes. Pat dry.
In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, soy sauce, water, mirin, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, cayenne, five-spice, black pepper, onion, pear, and green onions.
Place ribs in a resealable freezer bag and add marinade. Remove any air and seal. Turn bag several times to let marinade coat ribs evenly. Refrigerate for 2 hours, turning occasionally, or up to overnight. Discard marinade.
Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Lightly oil grill grate.
Cook ribs until grill marks appear, 2-3 minutes per side. Garnish with green onions.