- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 white onion, minced
- 2 lb lean ground beef
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp oregano leaves
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Shredded sharp cheddar, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
- Chopped green onions, for serving
In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add oil. When oil shimmers, add onion and cook until translucent, about 6 minutes. Add beef, season with salt and pepper, and cook, breaking beef into small pieces, until no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Drain off excess fat.
Add tomato sauce, water, chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine, cover, reduce heat to low and let simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add beans, stir to combine, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, another 15 minutes.
Serve with cheese, sour cream, and green onions.