- 1/2 lb tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1/4-1 jalapeno, stems, seeds, and ribs removed and cut in half, optional
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt
- 1 large, ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- 4 double-cut bone-in pork chops
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil
Bring a medium saucepan filled with 2 cups water to boil over high heat. Add tomatillos, jalapeno, if using, garlic, and onion and cook, about 3 minutes.
In a food processor fitted with the blade attachment, add tomatillos, jalapeno, garlic, cilantro, and red onion and pulse until coarsely chopped. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Add olive oil, lime juice, and salt. Toss to combine. Add avocado and, using a spatula or big spoon, gently fold into tomatillo mixture.
Meanwhile, make the pork. Prepare a grill pan over grill over medium-high heat. Season pork liberally with salt and pepper. Drizzle oil in grill pan and add pork chops and cook until grill marks form, about 4 minutes. Turn 45° and cook until more grill marks form on first side, another 4 minutes. Turn pork over and cook on second side, turning 45° after 4 minutes. Cook until internal temperature is 140°. Transfer to a platter and let rest 5 minutes before serving with salsa.