- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pasilla or poblano chile, roasted, skinned, seeded, and diced
- 1 (1 lb) container Harmons salsa, divided
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chile powder
- 1 tsp oregano leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp lime juice plus lime wedges for garnish
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup crumbled tortilla chips, divided
- 1 cup cubed queso fresco
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- 4 green onions, chopped
In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add oil. Add onion and cook until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and chile and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add salsa, cumin, chile powder, oregano, cilantro, and lime juice and cook, about 5 minutes.
Add broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, about 10 minutes. Add 1/2 cup tortilla chips and stir to combine.
Serve each portion topped with queso fresco, crema, avocado, green onions, remaining tortilla chips, and lime wedges.