- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup forbidden black rice, soaked in water for 1 hour
- 1/2 cup no salt added tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2-3 large bell peppers, halved horizontally and seeded
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add oil. Add onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add turkey, cumin, garlic powder, and season with salt and pepper. Break up turkey using a wooden spoon until browned, 4-5 minutes.
Add black rice, tomato sauce, 1 cup chicken broth, and cilantro, and stir to combine. Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer, 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°.
Put bell pepper halves in an ovenproof dish. Divide turkey-black rice filling between each bell pepper half. Pour remaining ¼ cup chicken broth into baking dish and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle each bell pepper with shredded cheese, and bake another 10 minutes.
Per 1 svg: cal.: 410; total fat: 15g (sat. fat: 6g); sodium: 600mg; total carb.: 31g; dietary fiber: 5g; sugar: 7g; protein: 38g