- 1 1/2 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, cut into 1" chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 dried California chile, crumbled, soaked in warm water
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- 1 bunch fresh sage, leaves removed
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 5 Tbsp balsamic vinegar, divided
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 oz fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 4 oz loosely packed arugula
- 1/2 lemon, quartered
Preheat oven to 325° and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine squash, garlic, chile, cinnamon, and sage. Add 1 tablespoon oil and 2 tablespoons vinegar, and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine and let sit for 10 minutes.
Spread squash in a single layer on prepared baking sheet and roast until soft and edges are crispy, about 30 minutes.
In a small saucepan over low heat, add vinegar and sugar and let dissolve. Let cool. Whisk remaining 7 tablespoons oil into vinegar-sugar mixture to make a dressing. Toss half with squash to coat well and transfer slices to a large serving plate.
Toss remaining dressing with goat cheese over squash and garnish with dressed arugula and lemon wedges.