- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, cut into 1" chunks
- 2 turnips, cut into 1" chunks
- 1 Russet potato, cut into 1" chunks
- 1 parsnip, cut into 1" chunks
- 2 tsp sweet paprika, plus more for serving
- 1 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 1 (28 oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp tomato purée
- 1/2 lb chorizo sausage, broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup green lentils, such as Le Puy, picked over, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 bunch kale, tough ribs removed, shredded into 1" pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Sour cream or crème fraîche
In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add oil. When oil shimmers, add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add root vegetables to pan and cook until beginning to soften., stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add paprikas and cook for 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and tomato purée to pan and cook, 2-3 minutes. Add chorizo, lentils, and broth to pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes.
Add kale to pan with vegetables. Cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper. Serve with sour cream and a sprinkling of paprika.